A "campaign" is a use case for sending text messages over A2P. Think about the text messages you currently receive from businesses. They range from verification codes to appointment reminders to promotional coupons to personalized communications. Each of these would represent a different campaign.
Indicating what type of campaign you are registering gives information to the mobile carriers about the content of your messages. Registering campaigns will help the carriers identify your communications as legitimate and impact how they are handled.
There are three broad types of A2P campaigns
- Declared Use Case - Includes customer care messages such as account verification, OTP, account status, delivery notifications, alerts and other outreach that allows you to service customers better.
- Mixed/Marketing Use Case - Includes promotional campaigns, sales, limited offers and other outreach that is focused on sales and marketing.
- Basic/Unregistered Messages - Any messages that have not stated the use for their content. Considered high risk providers or unregistered traffic.
There are also some "special" use cases defined by AT&T such as emergency services, political outreach, charities and others, but they have not yet been adopted across all carriers and may not be available for A2P until a future date.
How will campaigns impact your business?
Besides the business benefits of sending verified messages, the biggest impact on your business will be fees associated with using A2P channels.
Once A2P is active and required, different campaigns will incur fees per text message. These fees are determined by the receiving mobile carriers (not smrtPhone) and range between $0.001-0.005 per message. In some instances, there may be a one-time campaign registration fee on top of the per-message charge.
Messages sent out without a registered campaign will incur higher fees than registered campaigns.
smrtPhone will be passing through any additional costs incurred by carriers due to A2P without markup. Customary smrtPhone text messaging fees will still apply.
How to register a campaign
Registering a campaign will happen within the smrtPhone Trust Center A2P verification portal, once it becomes live in late-April 2021.
Depending on how your business communications are organized, you may need to register more than one campaign type. For example, if you use text messaging for customer care (such as account alerts) but also send discount coupons via text, you will need to register two campaign types.
You will need the following information to register a campaign:
- Number Pool. Referred to as "Message Service" by the carriers, this indicates which phone numbers will be sending the campaign content. You will be able to select a single number or create bundles of numbers to use.
- Campaign Type - Declared or Mixed/Marketing (see descriptions above)
- Campaign description - A friendly name you create to help differentiate between campaigns on your account.
- Two sample messages - Copy/paste text messages that would be used.
How long will it take for a campaign to be approved?
It is estimated that it will take mere minutes for a messaging campaign to be verified, once your brand is already established as an A2P sender.